Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Arachivitta Sambhar




After getting married  into an authentic Brahmin family the first thing I learnt was the Arachivitta sambhar.At my mom's house we make  simple sambhar with the sambhar powder...It was after marriage I learnt cooking and my first trial was the sambhar...My best critic is HH who always gives me the true comments !!(Though I had tested all my newly tried dishes on him!!)..Here at my MIL's house sambhar means its only arachivitta sambhar.During my earlier days after marriage the job of making sambhar was cumbersome!!Somehow after several trials I learnt the complete process of adjusting the tamarind and the chilli...
 
Though I am comfortable with the process I hardly make sambhar.It is only once a week we make this.As my kids  don't like packing sambhar sadham for their lunch...I hardly make  sambhar..
 
But it is apt when we feel like having an elaborate lunch.A simple sambhar with appalam/potato curry is an awesome combination...
 
For the recipe pls press READ MORE below..

 
 
 
 
PROCEDURE:
 
 
 
Pressure cook the dhal with little water,turmeric powder and a drop of oil till the dhal gets cooked
 
 
 
Take a wide pan.Heat it.Then add items to temper.While tempering add 1-2 dry chilli too(That was missed in the to temper list)
Add small shallots(optional).Saute it well.This step is optional.As i liked shallots I had added it.But the original recipe doesn't call for small onions/shallots.
Then add the chopped drumsticks and saute well.
 
 
After sauting it for some time a the tamarind water and cook till drumsticks get cooked.Instead of drumstick chow chow,radish can also be added.
 
Then add the mashed dhal to the pan.Add enough water and salt.mix well.
Then add the grinded powder(the one mentioned as to roast and grind in the ingredients list) and leave it to boil for some time.
Now the sambhar is ready.Can have it with hot rice with potato curry and appalam as the sidedish.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment